When it comes to choosing a builder for your custom home it isn’t as easy as comparing apples to apples. It is much more likely to resemble comparing an apple to a fruit salad! Standard features as opposed to upgrade options can vary not only from builder to builder but even more importantly, from community to community.
I know from first hand experience how frustrating this can be for you, the consumer, who really only wants two simple things: the most home possible for the best price possible combined with expert craftsmanship.
So let me help you out a bit with some basic first steps to guide you along the way.
- Choose a knowledgeable Real Estate agent with a background in new construction that will be honest with their communication, giving of their time, and will make your dream their own. This will prove invaluable as you pursue your custom home and partnering with the right builder.
- Contact your local home builders association, RCHBA Website , for information on the builders who participate in membership and in programs that promote excellence and craftsmanship.
- When you are touring Open Houses, make a note of the homes that appeal to you and find out who the builder of that home is.
- Interview potential builders. Do NOT be afraid to ask questions, compare standard features, warranty programs and more. Builders are very aware that this is a life altering purchase and are happy to answer your questions so that you can be at ease with the choices you make. Interviewing Builders
- Once you have chosen a builder that you believe might be the right fit for you and your dream, please take your Realtor and go visit some of that builders existing homes both those which are completed and those which are still in progress. Your knowledgeable agent should be able to explain the various components and stages of the build to you. In addition, your Realtor will be able to remark upon areas of excellence and/or concern that may need to be brought to your consideration.
- Please do take along a notebook to record information during all stages of the process. Information will be plentiful and can easily become confusing if not kept duly recorded. Some Realtors will create a book as you go through the steps of your home build which will be given to you upon completion. Sort of a memory book of all the choices, stages, and photos of the beginning days of your new home!
- Please do take along the 1 or 2 major decision maker(s) to all meetings thus making it easy to arrive at decisions and keep the build on schedule.
- Don’t panic! There are things you will see / notice during the build that will not make sense to you. Don’t hesitate to reach out to your Realtor as often times things are done in a manner or time frame which does not make sense to us but is necessary to the excellent craftsmanship of the home.
These are just a few highlights to help you pursue your dream of a custom home. Although the process may seem daunting, with a skill Realtor by your side and an excellent master craftsman conducting the build, you will find much joy along the way and before you know it, you will be ensconced in your lovely new home!
Happy construction journey folks….